Notes on showering etiquette in Central Asia your blog descriptor

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Who?

My photo
This blog is from 2007 - 2008. When this was going on: I'm trying to drive three Trabants 15,000 miles from Germany to Cambodia with a bunch of international accomplices. We set off from Germany on July 23rd, 2007, and hope to be in Cambodia by December. To see the route of our global odyssey, which we're calling Trabant Trek, go here: http://www.trabanttrek.org/route or www.myspace.com/trabanttrek

Tuesday 9 October 2007

Notes on showering etiquette in Central Asia

Notes on showering etiquette in Central Asia
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
October 8th, 2007
By Dan Murdoch

THE SHOWERING situation here is quite an adventure. The facilities are very much communal, shared between three large apartment blocks. Inside what I shall politely call the gentleman’s washroom, but may be better termed a small, filthy cesspit, there are three showers, which in my experience are shared between six people.
The routine is this: you jump in the shower for a quick rinse, wait for the naked men surrounding you to start staring, then step out and begin to lather yourself. You will have to wait near a shower for at least five minutes, dripping and soapy like some fluffy yeti, for a gap to appear beneath the crowded nozzles. When you see a space it is imperative to jump in quickly and wash off the spuds, before the other nudies get annoyed.
You may then retreat to the relative safety of the dressing area, pleasantly decorated with live moss, where people perpetually leave the door open to the wider world, leaving you horribly at risk of a terrible exposure.
Of course I always seem to arrive in the washroom when there is a deep queue for each shower. So I have to hover, in full naked glory, waiting for my go and wondering where to look. I normally stare at my miniature aeroplane bottle of shampoo, which is about the size of a teabag and written entirely in Russian, a language so foreign it uses a different alphabet, and is utterly, utterly indecipherable to me.
I'm sure this ruse is wearing off, but I have yet to work out the correct posture to adopt when standing in a room full of naked Kyrgyz.
But I tell you this: I have seen more cock in the last ten days than the preceding ten years.
And the Asian penis has been hugely underestimated.

Ends
mrdanmurdoch@gmail.com
For more of Dan’s blogs visit: danmurdoch.blogspot.com or www.trabanttrek.org

5 comments:

Blog Bloke said...

OMG, that is hilarious Dan and at the same time I feel for your uncomfortableness (if that's a word).

I'll never forget the first time I saw an Asian toilet, if you can call it that. No seat, no throne, no toilet paper ... just a hole in the ground.

Anonymous said...

Your notes on penises was appropriately short.

Dan Murdoch said...

Some of the loos we visited are so bad, even the locals have taken to defecating outside them, rather than in them.
But then, there is something about squatting in the open with the wind in your hair... oh dear...it's been a long trek...

Dan Murdoch said...

I hope that Anonymous isn't inferring something?
At least give us your real name and i can tell if you would know anything about the subject.

Anonymous said...

Dan I can see that you are having so much fun. Has this experience gone beyond your expectation. Zoe